Researchers at SPRI Global are currently supporting UNICEF Maldives with a “Social Sector Analysis and Sector Plan Development” in the Republic of Maldives. The objective of this study is to analyse the social service sector in Maldives and support the relevant partners in developing a Social Sector Master Plan that will allow the Ministry of Gender, Family and Social Services (MoGFSS) and other relevant government agencies to better plan, budget, and implement a more holistic and rights-based social service system that promotes the wellbeing of all vulnerable groups in an inclusive, non-discriminatory, and equity-based manner. This assignment is part of a joint UN programme on SDG financing where the social service sector plan will provide a clear roadmap for how the Government of Maldives can use SDG financing frameworks and strategies to further strengthen the social service sector.
The assignment will include the following areas:
- Conduct an in-depth and comprehensive analysis of the social service sector, including both formal and informal protection and social protection systems, as well as the cross-sectoral linkages to health, education, housing, decentralization, justice and legal systems, law enforcement, and climate change (including a mapping of existing legal provisions / national frameworks / institutional procedures, gaps, and how they can be reconciled);
- Identify key challenges and gaps in the social service sector from a human, financial, and research perspective;
- Document the findings in a comprehensive rights-, equity-, and gender-based social service analysis report that references key ways forward;
- Review and analyse the current social protection system and social service delivery in the Maldives (with existing laws and international conventions) and provide recommendations for how the system can become more shock-responsive and universal;
- Guide and develop a comprehensive Social Service Sector Master Plan that identifies a clear way forward on how to strengthen the social service delivery and social protection system in the Maldives
The main outputs of the assignment will include:
- Social Service Sector Analysis report that is rights-based, equity-focused, and gender sensitive in nature and in line with recent national laws and legislations on Child Protection, UNCRC and other instruments including the Convention of the Rights of People with Disabilities (CRPD)
- A comprehensive framework for strengthening the social service workforce in the Maldives, incl. recommendations on areas that need further strengthening for operationalization of key social work processes and multi-sectoral coordination and referral mechanism (at central and decentralized levels)
- Context specific shock-responsive Social Protection framework that complements protection systems
- A costed 10-year Social Service Sector Master Plan that includes human, financial, and hardware
requirements for a fully functional social service sector.
The SPRI team is honoured to support UNICEF, UN partners, and the Government of the Republic of Maldives in this important assignment.